Openly Broken

Openly Broken
For African American Women dealing with Depression

Monday, December 11, 2017

Find Your Happy Place/Mental Injuries



Find Your Happy Place...And Linger!


I've recently realized how much time I've spent in the past focusing on the negative things.  It's either I'm anticipating something bad, or experiencing something bad or reflecting on something bad.  It feels like a never-ending negative cloud is constantly hovering over me threatening me with heavy rain and showers.  

Today, I realized that I do have rare moments of pure happiness and the reasons for my happiness are not at all tied to money, material possessions or other people--they come solely from gratitude.  I've decided that I don't spend entirely enough time in these moments and they are often too far in between.

But today I gave myself permission to really enjoy it.  I wanted to relish in it and for the moment to linger as long as possible.  Of course, I recognize that the weather eventually changes (it was nice and warm and sunny the other day--today it's wet, dark and dreary) but that's life.

I just want to enjoy the sunny days to the fullest and not let the threat of rain eclipse my moment to enjoy the shine!

Mental Injuries

It's so important that we seek help after experiencing trauma of all kinds!  You will be suprised at what can alter your state of mind.  If you've ever been in an abusive relationship--you should seek counseling.  If you've lost a close friend or family member--you should seek counseling.  If you've had to move abruptly for whatever reason--you should talk to someone (with a level head and common sense) or yes, seek counseling.  

As African-Americans we've been in survival mode for so long--only focusing on working and paying bills and making sure food is on the table, and lights are on, and transportation, and the very basics of caring for ourselves.  In the past it was very easy to brush a lot of issues under the rub because we had bigger things to worry about.  

Well, now we have time.  We now have to go back and start addressing some issues that we left unattended.  So many children (girls and boys) have been sexually abused by family, friends of family, boyfriends, step-fathers, pastors, or people that were suppose to be a protector---and these things have never been addressed!

If I break my arm I don't just go on with life.  I go to the doctor and my arm is examined and I'm given an x-ray to determine the location of the break and then someone comes and bandages my arm up so that it can set right and I can have full function of my arm in the future,

The same should be done for the mental injuries that occur in our lives.  When we are hurt or traumatized we must see someone so that we can heal properly and be at 100% functionality in the future,

Mental Health is just as important as Physical Health!

No comments:

Post a Comment