Openly Broken

Openly Broken
For African American Women dealing with Depression

Saturday, January 2, 2016

A New Year's Revelation

The new year always brings new hope for me.  I know everyone is ranting and raving about not doing the whole "new year new me" thing.  But why not?  Why not make a dedication to do things differently and better? This is the perfect time to examine your life and look for ways to improve things in it.

This time last year was probably the first year that I did not feel hopeful.  I can't even remember what I did last New Year's that's how insignificant it was to me.  I had never experienced that before last year.  I wonder if going through depression had anything to do with that?

Depression rocked me to my very core.  It made me an entirely different person.  I was unrecognizable and I don't ever want to be that person again.  This is why I have made it my business to bring awareness to it.  Because I wasn't myself during this time it effected everyone around me including my kids.  They suffered too.  They didn't get the Thanksgiving, Christmas or New Year's they deserved because of what I was going through.  I don't want that for them ever again.

I don't really have a New Year's Resolution but I have made some decisions.  I've decided to enjoy life no matter what!  I used to feel like I had to always have it together and everything had to be a certain way in order for me to be happy.  I am so happy that I don't feel this way anymore.  Things can be crazy in my life and it be okay.

This is more than a resolution its a revelation.

No comments:

Post a Comment