Openly Broken

Openly Broken
For African American Women dealing with Depression

Monday, October 1, 2018

NOTE: Remember Who You Are!


I recently re-watched the movie Black Panther and I noticed something that I hadn't before.  In one of my favorite scenes where T'Challa fights M'Baku, it looks like T'Challa might lose the fight, but he says his full name and finds strength that appears to come out of nowhere.  He defeats his foe.


Why did he say his name?  I believe it was to remind him of who he is.  So what's in a name?  I've had moments like this before where I've said "hey, I'm Candace, I don't have to deal with this or live like this anymore. 



What do you think about when you say your name?  What comes to your mind?  When you're in a battle you don't have the time to try to figure it out.  It is during the time of peace and quiet that you have the time to decide who you will be. 

Sometimes I've thought about my name and I didn't like it.  And that's because I didn't like me.  I didn't like who I had become.  But I had to remember who God told me and showed me who I was.  This gave me the faith to know that is was possible to change.  And once I knew that I could change I sought out the wisdom and knowledge so that I could know the steps to change.

So, now when I face battles that seem like I should lose, I remind myself of who I am, where I've been and what I've learned, and somehow, someway I find the strength to keep fighting until I win!

Remember who you are!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment