Openly Broken

Openly Broken
For African American Women dealing with Depression

Friday, August 3, 2018

Why Isn't Michelle Williams being called a (S)HERO?





I've spent the past few days reflecting on the moments that led up to me getting help for depression.  I recently read a few articles on Michelle Williams (former Destiny's Child member) where she talked about dealing with depression herself.

She ended up checking her self into a clinic.  I thought that this was pretty amazing.  I also thought about how nice it must be to be able to do that.  I think a lot of us could use some time away from our environments--especially the toxic ones!   

I also admired her bravado. She openly expressed her situation with the world.  It's a lot of us out here scared and ashamed to tell our family, friends, and pastors that we are secretly dealing with depression and other mental health issues.  She chose to tell the entire world and I can't help but have respect for her.  That is NOT an easy thing to do!

But, reading about her situation triggered thoughts of my own and I won't lie--at first I got really depressed!  I was sad and I just couldn't shake it for nothing!  The moments leading up to you wanting to get help are the hardest moments because you keep telling yourself that you can get through it.  You lie to yourself and say "you're okay"  and you lie to others as well.  

I recognize that I waited so long to get help because I didn't know I needed it.  I wasn't aware of how serious your mental health is.  Now that I know I really can't shut up about it.  Your mental health affects everything you do.  You can't really be in a healthy relationship with anyone (family, friends, spouse...etc) with a mental illness--and not receive any help.  There will always be problems.

For the past two weeks I've talked about mental health and relationships.  I even discussed it with my sons's father who also deals with mental health issues.  We both recognized that we could never really love each other until we loved ourselves enough to get help.   

CLICK HERE TO READ MENTAL HEALTH AND RELATIONSHIPS


It's really sad that many of us don't even get the help.  A lot of people we go to work with, sit right next to in schools, praise the Lord with at church on Sundays and even in our families are walking around ill--mentally.  And that's really sad to me.

What's good though is that you don't have to stay that way.  There's help.  There's options.  It may take some time digging into resources available but you are WORTH the time and effort.  Your mental health is worth the time!  

START with a call to your insurance or doctor.  Make a call and see what services are available.  If you don't have insurance there are services available that are free or they may make you sign up for free health insurance through Medicaid.

TALK to someone.  Talk to someone that is willing to listen and HELP.  Some people (especially black people) don't really believe in going to therapy or counseling for several reasons but you can't worry about them or what they have to say.  Talk to someone you know will understand--even if they are not a person of color.  

SUPPORT.  Find support.  Build a team a network a tribe a fortress--whatever you wanna call it!  You are going to need a team of people.  For depressed people this seems like the worst thing ever but it is very necessary.  And it may take some time because sometimes people want to help but they may not be able to.  You need people that love you--yes!  But you also need people that understand what you are going through.  They have to understand or be willing to learn and understand your mental illness.

CONTINUE.  When the doctor prescribes medication they always advise you to take the full prescription.  Even when you think you're better keep following the instructions of your therapist, counselor, or spiritual adviser.  If you've been prescribed physical fitness such as running, swimming, tennis, art, prayer, medication or meditation...do it!  And don't stop.  


1 comment:

  1. I love that Michelle is breaking the stigma, especially within the music industry. Alot of artists rather mask their pain with temporary fixes such as drugs and alcohol. I applaud her for her bravery and sharing her depression with the world. So, that other young girls and woman who look up to her will feel so much bolder in seeking help for themselves.

    ReplyDelete