Openly Broken

Openly Broken
For African American Women dealing with Depression

Thursday, June 14, 2018

Blogger Sunshine Award 2018





The Sunshine Blogger Award is peer recognition for bloggers that inspire positivity and joy in their writing.

My blog "Openly Broken" was nominated by Beauty, Christ, Relationships blogger Teliah Nashonia. In her blog she writes about her struggles with depression and anxiety, but also how her relationship with Christ has helped her make it through tough times.  

I enjoy reading her blog because she is very uplifting and encouraging as well as down-to-earth and relate-able.  She also v-logs on her YouTube channel offering her viewers make up tips and tutorials.  


Teliah and I connected through blogging and we've been friends ever since.  I'm so happy to have met her because I've prayed for friends who are godly and share similar interests.  Meeting her has been an answered prayer.

Openly Broken was birthed out of a lot of pain.  I was going through the worst moments of my life.  I really thought that I lost myself because I barely recognized the person that I'd become.  Openly Broken has given me the opportunity to have a space to learn and grow spiritually, mentally, physically and emotionally.  I've learned so much about myself by evaluating my past and present, examining my faults and finally being totally honest about who I am and who I strive to be.


Although this has been a very excruciating process I've enjoyed sharing my experiences and getting feedback from people who share similar circumstances.  Receiving this nomination for this award has been very exciting and I hope to share that excitement with others.   I'm also going to nominate some of my fellow bloggers for this award.  I hope you can participate.  

These are my nominations:

1. Neci Dawson with Candied Y.A.M.S Makeup Artistry is my first nomination.  I met Neci while networking through social media.  I love love love her name because it makes me feel good every time I see it LOL.  She has an awesome blog filled with make-up tips and a YouTube filled with make up tutorials.  Every Sunday she goes live using her YouTube platform and shares her secret make up tips.  Her lives are full of laughs and you always learn a lot.  





2. My next nomination goes to Tashauna Hill @off-mute!  She is a very beautiful and talented blogger.  I got the opportunity to collaborate with her on a blog post that was very emotional for the both of us and it's called "Daddy Issues"---! I met @off-mute through social media interactions and she has since taken her blog to the next level.  I enjoy reading her blogs and I love her visuals. 







3.  My final nomination goes to @RIZMRizm is a multi-talented writer, singer, performer and yes --my baby daddy! When I'm not feeling as confident in my writing I often go to him and he gives me a ton of support and I'm always very appreciative of that.  He's a very talented writer with an amazing story which he often writes about using his blog and in the lyrics of his music.





Congratulations to my fellow bloggers and nominees.  Good Luck! 

Can you tell me some of your strengths that really helped you in blogging?

I named my blog Openly Broken so that it can remind me to be just that--open about my brokenness.  I've found that my strength comes from being honest and open about depression and it's affects on my life. 





What type of networking do you think is better to enhance your traffic to the blog?


I think forming genuine and authentic relationships always work best. I enjoy networking because it gives you an opportunity to meet so many different people and connect with them in different ways.  I remind myself that its not just about business but forming and maintaining relationships.

How do you want to improve yourself in the next year?


I would like to improve my communication and writing skills. I would also like to improve physically and mentally.

What was your greatest failure and what did you learn from that?


My greatest failure in my eyes was dealing with depression.  I did not like who I had become.  But God has used my worst moments to grow me in other areas of my life and for that I'm grateful and thankful.

Who has impacted you most in blogging and how?


I honestly can't say that it's been just one person.  I am so glad that I got connected with so many bloggers through groups in Facebook and on Instagram.  Reading other blogs and being in contact with other bloggers I am always inspired by their topics, writing skills, and creativity.  

One fellow blogger that definitely stands out to me is Teliah Nashonia.  She has a faith-based blog dedicated to her love for Christ and Beauty (make-up) and I love how transparent and bold she is in her writing.  Seeing her posts encourages me even the more to write my truest and honest feelings without reservations.

What do you do in your spare time?


I have three kids so there is no such thing as "spare time" LOL.  When I do get some free time I do enjoy reading self-help books and magazines, and autobiographies baking, traveling (road trips), and watching documentaries.

Where would you like to be in blogging five years from now?


I would just like to see where this takes me.  I don't even know if I'll be blogging then. I do know that I will always write.

Have you met anyone interesting/famous on your blogging journey?


I've definitely met some interesting people during my blogging journey but I don't know about famous.

What are your favorite hobbies?


My three favorite hobbies are: reading, writing, and (I really don't have time for a third one because I can barely do the first two!)


What are 3 items you can not live without?


My phone, chocolate, and a journal!

What one thing do you wish your blog readers knew?


How much I appreciate them checking out my blog and sharing their thoughts.  This really means a lot to me because it let's me know that there are others out there who understand and share my views. 

Suggested rules for the award, should you choose to accept, (your option):
  • Thank the blogger who nominated you for a blog post and links back to their blog.
  • Answer the 11 questions the blogger asked you.
  • Nominate 3-11 new or new to you blogs to receive the award, and write 11 questions for them.
  • List the rules and display the Sunshine Blogger Award logo in your post and/or on your blog.
Here are my questions for my nominees, should you accept this award:
1. When and why did you start blogging?
2. What methods do you use to overcome writers-block?
3. What are your blogging goals for the next five years?
4. What is your inspiration for your blog?
5. Who inspires you and why?
6. What is one struggle area and your plan to overcome it?
7. List three great qualities you possess.
8. If today was the last day that you could post to your blog what would you write?
9. What would you love to write about but afraid to?
10. What is your dream job and why?
10. In your own words, define LOVE. 

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for accepting the nomination. I'm definitely happy to have you as a blogging friend. I love when you stated, "God has used my worst moments to grow me in other areas of my life and for that I'm grateful and thankful." He has done the same from me turned my ashes into beauty. He is definitely awesome. I can't wait to visit some of the other blogs you listed to support our community.

    ReplyDelete